Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

And so it goes.

Last night, Logan decided we didn't have enough excitement, and clearly had not been fully supporting our friendly neighborhood ambulance service. He had an extreme allergic reaction that laughed at our attempts to stop it with benadryl. In fact, we tried to stop it with benadryl more than once. We are now single handedly guaranteeing job security for the ambulance service, the ER, our pediatrician, and our pharmacy. Again.

 Being a good Mommy, I took pictures of the rash all over his face, the swollen eyes and lips, the welt on his head that looked like a goose egg from a head trauma. I called the pediatrician, because we could not give any more benadryl after two and a half doses. It was time for the dreaded twinject. Which was...... expired. Cue the ambulance. Because after all.. it's 6:30 pm and NO ONE is open that can fill a prescription or give an injection and monitor my child at that time of the night, when you live in the sticks, the pharmacy closed at 6,  and the sucky clinic that sucks (thank you Jill for that whole "sucky ________ that sucks" phrase. I love it, and have adopted it) closes at 5pm.

I don't really feel that the above picture does justice to his reaction. Let me show you what it REALLY looked like, before it also affected his extremities.
In the ambulance, he was silent. Lethargic. Wasn't responding to voice or making eye contact. We were very worried about seizures, so there were three paramedics in the back, making it impossible for me to be back there with him, too. I slowly, and methodically lost my mind in the front seat with the driver who, bless his heart, tried to keep me preoccupied by talking about the weather, the GFCF diet, and how I don't look old enough to have 7 children ( He is SUCH a liar, and is going to hell.) But, Logan's redness was fading just a little, so they decided not to do the epi injection. He didn't make a sound when they put in his IV. On a bumpy road. He was silent when they were checking him over in the hospital. He didn't object to the throat swab for the strep test. He laid there with no emotion.
Lest you think I am writing this to gain sympathy.. I assure you I am not. This is my version of therapy. I have to get it out. I can't cry in front of my twinnies or #5 because it freaks them out, and I am SUCH a wreck. Too little sleep following an ambulance transport to the ER because your child is having a life threatening experience will do that to ya.

But this morning:
And THAT, addicts... that smile? That's what makes me know we're all going to be OK. 


jillsmo said...

Oh crap. I'm so glad he's okay. :(

Danica said...

Sweetie....I hope you are getting rest today. ***hugs*** Happy to hear Logan is ok.
I know of many people (myself included) who feel as though writing is therapy.

Deanna said...

That last picture almost made me cry.

I'm so glad that he is feeling better! And blog on! We're here to help you through the good and the bad.

If you ever need me call. :)

RacersMommy said...

So glad he's ok! I would tell you to get some sleep but I already know how that goes. But try! (((hugs))) to you all!

Big Daddy Autism said...

I'm happy he's alright and proud of you for thinking of us by taking pictures of the ordeal. You are a true blogger now.

Margie P. said...

Oh my gosh. You must have been so scared. I am so sorry you had to go through this and I am SO GLAD he is OK!

((HUGS)) to you all!

The Animated Woman said...

Holy heck momma! Hope he's ok today. Brave boy! Brave Caryn!

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD! I'm so glad he's feeling better. *big hugs*

Post a Comment